Wednesday, January 19, 2011

2010: A Year of Change

We're a few weeks into the new year, and things are shaping up nicely.  But something I forgot to do was reflect on 2010.

There's no doubt that 2010 will be one of the best remembered years for me.  Had you asked me this time last year where I'd be now, I'd have no answer.  The only thing at that moment which was certain was finishing my degree.  I was still looking for job, with no prospects at that point.  No vacation plans either, just looking forward to being free from Tech.

Don't get me wrong, Georgia Tech is a great school, and I had some great years there.  But 6 years is a long time to spend in school, and it's left me with enough debt that I won't be forgetting about it anytime soon.

As for a job, it seemed to be wait a while, then a big rush.  Things trickled in, a phone interview here, an extra application there.  Finally a big break, an on-site interview with National Instruments out in Austin, TX.  At that time that was the furthest west I'd been (but that would soon be remedied).  It was a good trip, good experience, unfortunately though nothing came of it beyond a messenger bag.

Then the rush occurred, multiple callbacks, on-sites with YouTube and PNNL.  I was psyched for both, and got to see both San Francisco, CA and Richland, WA.  Two cities which couldn't be more different from each other.  One a metropolis, the other a small town in the desert.  In the end, I found myself in San Francisco with YouTube.  I'll forever wonder how I got that lucky.

During all this, suddenly I was going to Greece over the summer too.  Even better.

This left little time however to pack and move, so once school was out it felt all too quick. Sure it took 3 months for me to reach the west coast after graduating, but it felt like a lot less.

Now it's already been 6 months of me living out here.  Been back home more times than I thought I would, not that I mind.  But things are settling in, and I'm getting used to life again. A routine is nice, one you love is even better.

I just wonder what 2011 will bring.  I again couldn't tell you where I'll be in a year, or where I'll find myself between now and then, but I can say I that for once I have a place I plan to be: the Bay.

1 comment:

  1. We miss you, but I am so pleased to hear how happy you are!! I am so glad for you!

    ReplyDelete