Saturday, March 12, 2011

Spring Forward or Fall Back?

I write this on the evening of DST "Spring Forward".  That horrible time where we all decide to get one less hour of sleep, and the clocks magically go from 1:59 AM to 3:00 AM.

But as much as I hate "Spring Forward", I should instead embrace it as a philosophy.  I've begun falling back into my old habits, ones which were never any good for me (see: lack of posts the past two months).  Always have plans though, unfortunately my habit is to never follow through on any of them.  For example, right now my plan is to sleep.  As you can see (read?), I'm currently not following through with that plan.  Must have plans though, don't know what I'd do without them (probably same as always, just minus some regret).

So, I say, if they're gonna take an hour away from my night tonight, I might as well act like something happened in that hour.  Let's say that for once, in that hour we'll all never remember, I actually did something productive towards one of my many plans.  Maybe then I'll stop feeling like a slacker.  Nah, that's a bad idea.

What I need to do is stop resting on my haunches (literally: I need to get out of this chair) and DO SOMETHING.  Anything, doesn't matter, so long as it's taking a risk.  Something I don't normally do.  Escape this holding pattern which is my life (sleep, work, eat, vegetate, repeat).  That's how you really Spring Forward: the only right way to do it is into the unknown.

So I'm going to bed tonight and going to wake up an hour ahead, stop living in the present, and start living in the future.

At least until November, then I might Fall Back again...

No comments:

Post a Comment