Saturday, November 15, 2008

Concert, woo!

So, tonight was the concert I've been waiting for for... years? Local H and Electric Six are going on tour together, which is kind of like the most awesome thing ever. They originally had a third band, but they dropped out. Instead, each venue had to find some local person to fill in the intro gap.

Lenny's Bar picked The Matt Kurz One (I apologize for the MySpace link), a one man band.


So, obviously the audio quality in the video isn't spectacular, but you get the idea. Let me break it down for you anyway:

This gentleman is playing an electric guitar with a drumstick in his right hand for hitting a cymbal between his legs and sometimes doing crazy awesome drum solos. The guitar has a drumstick duct taped on the end for hitting another cymbal, and another... stick? duct taped on to point down. This he uses to play a keyboard on occasion. His right food is playing the bass drum and possibly a kick snare, it's kind of hard to tell, and I couldn't see at the concert. His left foot is playing bass guitar.

It's kind of ridiculous, which I'm a big fan of, and it's also really, really impressive. Obviously, it's not earth-shatteringly crisp and professional, but I've heard stuff played by a lot more people that was a lot less good.

Of course, Local H was awesome, I didn't realize they had a new album out, but I have it now. I was a little disappointed that they didn't play a few songs I had hoped to hear, but in the end it was still really awesome.

Electric Six was better than I ever imagined, really. Dick Valentine came out wearing not one, but two capes. It turns out that his real speaking voice sounds very little like any of his singing voices. He's kind of nerdy sounding when he talks.

No comments:

Post a Comment